Incorporating a small part of the entire trail, this hiking tour will nevertheless give you perfect insight into Ticino – the Italian speaking part of Switzerland. Around blue lakes, past palm trees and up into the craggy mountains with their Mediterranean flora – this tour will show you a very different side of the country.
The cultural capital of Ticino
Get to know the historic treasures
Monte San Giorgio
Discover the local pearls
The best view you can get in Ticino
Lugano – Serpiano – Mendrisio
Arrival by air or rail travel to Zürich. Pick-up by representative and overnight stay in Regensdorf near Zürich.
Briefing in Regensdorf and transfer to the start of the Sentiero di Lugano Hiking Tour. Set out from Lugano Paradiso to ascend Monte San Salvatore. Alternatively take the cogwheel railway to the top. From the top of San Salvatore continue slightly downhill through woodlands interspersed with well-kept villages, pretty grottos (traditional inns) and scenic views until you reach Morcote. Take the boat across Lake Lugano to Brusino and continue by cable car to the hamlet of Serpiano towards the top of Monte San Giorgio. Hiking time 5h30. Overnight in Serpiano.
The Monte San Giorgio is also known as the ‘Fossil Mountain’ due to dinosaur fossils found here, dating back 230-240 million years. Explore a little before starting the gentle ascent through valleys, forests and hamlets to the town of Mendrisio. Along the way there is time to stop at a grotto for some typical Ticinese refreshments. The region of Mendrisiotto is particularly well-known for the delicious food and wine produced and served here. Hiking time 3h30. Overnight in Mendrisio.
Monte Generoso offers arguably the best views across Ticino. An enchanting panorama can be enjoyed from the top taking in all of the lakes in the region as well as mountain peaks as far away as the Matterhorn in the Valais. It is however a slow and steady climb through the lush forests to the top at 1,700m. Alternatively make use of the included Half Fare Card to use the cogwheel railway to the top and back down. Hiking time 7h. Overnight in Mendrisio.
Departure. Pick-up from hotel and transfer to Zürich airport.
From Prices per Person in £
Departures: Daily 01 April – 15 October
- Return flights in economy class from a major UK airport
- 4 overnights in 3* hotels with breakfast
- Hikes and walks as per itinerary
- ALLROUND SERVICE including ‘Meet and Greet’ at the airport, tour briefing, transfer to start/end of trail, luggage transfer from hotel to hotel, comprehensive tour documentation, English speaking helpline and support throughout.
- Ticino ticket offering free transport on local trains and buses.
- Grade B: intermediate
- Average walking time: 3h30 – 7h
- Start/End: Lugano / Mendrisio
- Terrain: Above and below tree line, forest, lakeshore
- Luggage Transfer: From hotel to hotel
- Local Transport: Day 2 & 4 – pay locally (c. CHF 20 pp)