Incorporating a small part of the entire trail, this hiking tour will nevertheless give you perfect insight into Ticino – the Italian speaking part of Switzerland. Around blue lakes, past palm trees and up into the craggy mountains with their Mediterranean flora – this tour will show you a very different side of the country.
The cultural capital of Ticino
Get to know the historic treasures
Monte San Giorgio
Discover the local pearls
The best view you can get in Ticino
Bellinzona – Isone -Tesserete – Lugano – Serpiano – Mendrisio
Arrival by air or rail travel to Switzerland and onward journey by rail to Bellinzona. Explore the beautiful town centre and the three surrounding castles.
Steep ascent to Monte del Tiglio with great views on Bellinzona and its castles. Descent to Isone. Overnight in Isone.
- Hiking time: 4h30.
Through the marsh of the former lake ‘Gola die Lago’ and on through a sea of ferns in the large birch forest towards Bigorio. Stop at the Franciscan monastery Santa Maria high above Tesserete. Overnight in Tesserete.
- Hiking time: 3h
Through the forests to the south of Tesserete, in the centre of which is the medieval Torre di Redde, you reach Oratorium San Bernardo with wonderful views of the Ceresio. The route leads between old walls and modern buildings down to Lugano. Overnight in Lugano.
- Hiking time: 3h
From Paradiso, the demanding but rewarding route climbs to San Salvatore, the best-known vantage point above Lake Lugano. The ascent can also be done by funicular to the top (pay locally). Passing typical Ticino villages, picturesque landscapes and hospitable grotti, the hike leads slowly down to Morcote. From Morcote by boat and cable car to Serpiano. Overnight in Serpiano.
- Hiking time: 5h
Monte Generoso offers arguably the best views across Ticino. An enchanting panorama can be enjoyed from the top taking in all of the lakes in the region as well as mountain peaks as far away as the Matterhorn in the Valais. It is however a slow and steady climb through the lush forests to the top at 1,700m. Alternatively use the cogwheel railway to the top and back down. Overnight in Mendrisio.
- Hiking time one way 7h or 3h if using cogwheel train.
Rail transfer from Mendrisio to Zürich airport and return journey home
From Prices per Person in £
Departures: Daily 01 April – 14 October
- Return flights from UK to Switzerland in economy class including 1 piece of hold luggage and all taxes
- Rail travel in 2nd class incl. half-fare card
- 6 nights accommodation in 3-star category
- Daily breakfast
- Local taxes
- Hiking as per itinerary
- Ticino Ticket
- Travel documentation
- Luggage transfer from hotel to hotel
- Entry to Bellinzona’s castles
- Entry to Fossile Museum Monte San Giorgio
- Comprehensive tour documentation
- Digital Swiss Coupon Pass
- English speaking helpline
- Grade: B – Intermediate (some steep ascents)
- Average Walking Time: 3h-5h
- Accommodation: Standard (3-star hotels)
- Start/End: Bellinzona/Mendrisio
- Luggage Transfer: From hotel to hotel
- Terrain: Above and below tree line, forests, lakeshore
- Local Transport: The Ticino Card issued by hotels along the way. Will offer buses and trains in the region for free. Boats and mountain railways offer a discount. Approximate cost locally: CHF 25pp.