The slowest express train in the world – an amazing rail journey across the Swiss Alps linking the two famous resorts of St Moritz and Zermatt. Crossing 291 bridges and passing through 91 tunnels, the route with the Glacier Express winds through spectacular alpine scenery. Sit back and enjoy the view.
The full Glacier Express journey (7.5 hours) departs from St Moritz to Zermatt or vice versa. You can reserve seats on the train in shorter sections between St. Moritz-Chur-Andermatt-Brig-Zermatt, starting or stopping at any of these locations. Reservations are required in 1st and 2nd class carriages which offer brilliant views from the large panoramic windows.
Choose from a lunch menu served at your seat (optional extra) or visit the panorama bar for snacks and drinks. Quirky souvenirs are available to buy as the trolley passes through the train – one of the famous tilting wine glasses is a favourite. The train even has its own post box on board! Highlights en route are explained via the on board commentary.
Highlights of the Glacier Express
- Depart from St Moritz, the world famous alpine resort
- The Albula railway line – this feat of engineering has UNESCO World Heritage status
- The Rhine Gorge – enjoy spectacular views as the train weaves through the bizarre geological formations
- The Landwasser viaduct – with its 65m high pillars
- The highest part of your journey is the Oberalp Pass at 2,033 metres above sea level
- Arrive in Zermatt, the charming Matterhorn village
- And many more..!