Travel in spectacular fashion from Switzerland to Italy on the highest railway in the alps. You can choose to continue your journey by Bernina Express bus through Italy and past Lake Como to Lugano in Switzerland – from glaciers to palm trees!
Board the Bernina Express from Chur, Davos or St Moritz. Reservations are required in 1st and 2nd class carriages which offer great views from the panoramic carriages.
A minibar service offers tasty snacks and refreshing drinks during your journey. Take this trip as far as Tirano (Italy) as a return day excursion. Lunch is available in Poschiavo or Tirano. Choose to extend your journey by panoramic bus from Tirano, along the banks of Lake Como, to Lugano, for an overnight stay there.
Highlights of Bernina Express
- Depart from Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland, or Davos/ St Moritz – the famous alpine resorts
- The Albula line – this feat of engineering has UNESCO world heritage status
- Travel through Europe’s most densely populated area of castles
- The Landwasser viaduct – with its 65m high pillars
- The highest point of your journey is at Ospizio Bernina, 2,253 metres above sea level
- Views of the glaciers and mountains from Alp Gruem
- On the Montebello Curve, travellers will get a glimpse of Morteratsch glacier, Piz Palue and Piz Bernina as the train makes a 180 degrees turn. Picture perfect!
- The extended track of the Brusio Circular Viaduct makes it possible for the train to negotiate the change in altitude – this is the most spectacular construction on the line
- Arrive in Tirano and enjoy some delicious Italian cuisine