Mount Rigi, Queen of the Mountains, is an ideal location for day trippers, with spectacular views and over 75 miles of hiking trails. From its highest point, Rigi Kulm, see snow-capped alps, 13 lakes, views of Germany & France, and birds-eye views of cities, Lucerne and Zug.
Ride on a steam train
Breathtaking views over Central Switzerland
Enjoy a view on your path
- Rich Alpine flora of around 1000 species
- 75 miles of hiking trails
- The spectacular views from Rigi Kulm (1,797m)
- Steam trains on selected summer dates
- Free with the Swiss Travel Pass
There are three ways to reach the summit:
- Cog railway from Vitznau, Europe’s first mountain railway (33 minutes)
- Cog railway from Goldau (37 minutes)
- Aerial cableway from Weggis (10 minutes) before changing to cogwheel railway
We suggest a round trip from Lucerne – Vitznau – Arth Goldau – Lucerne (by boat, cograilway and train). Please see map for reference.
In summer why not take one of the vintage trains up to Rigi from Vitznau (supplement applies). Once on the mountain, welcome the cool breeze and make use of the many barbecue areas and children’s playgrounds.
Autumn is popular for golden hikes. High above the fog, hikers can enjoy fantastic views of the Alps. Yellow sign posts make routes easy to follow and some trails are suitable for both pushchairs and wheelchairs.
In winter, there is a wide range of sports and activities on offer from snowshoeing and tobogganing to horse-drawn sleigh rides and winter barbecues! Please call us for more information.
If you would like to stay longer on the mountain, after day-trippers have gone home, stay at the 3*+ Hotel Rigi Kaltbad and bathe in its mineral spa.
Price per person in £
Swiss Travel Pass holder
Swiss Half Fare Card holder
Children 6-16 without STS Family Card